Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Intro/ day 1


I'm Jamie, a stay at home mom going to school part time. I have two kids Jordan, she is 12 and James he is 8 and of course my husband Jeff. After a year of no red meat due to high cholesterol in me, we decided to change up our diet again. Before giving up meat I loved eating a nice steak...that's why I had high cholesterol but now we are on to greener pastures with grass feed organic meat.



After our friends embarked on the Whole30 train we thought about it long and hard and said what are we waiting for? So we decided we would jump on board with them. Our first grocery shopping trip was a journey that lead to dreaming of label reading at night. But in a good way. It's amazing all of the stuff that is snuck into what one would think is healthy. Nope we as consumers need to read labels more. Anyways back to shopping, it was a few hours of looking at organic meat that is 100% grass feed. This in comparison to eating wild caught fish is close in price. The only thing that I thought was pricey was Ghee or clarified butter and coconut oil but those will not be a weekly buy. Well we walked out of three different stores with a much lighter wallet. Oh tip Costco has a lot of organic vegetables if you’re interested.

We decided to start on a Monday so Sunday evening we were cooking our lunches and snacks for Monday and Tuesday. Meatballs and roasted stew meat pieces, bagged our nuts and veggies were a family event. Kids had fun measuring out their snacks according to their hand size. After preparing for the week, we sat down and had our last bean and cheese burritos for 30 days. Kids wanted to get frozen yogurt afterwards but we didn't think it was a good idea to end the night with even more sugar in our stomachs so skipped and had an oranges.

Making breakfast for Jeff and I was easy. He packed his lunch the night before which I normally do but thankful he is doing it now because making breakfast in the morning is time consuming, we normally skip it and snack later for the most part. Breakfast was scrambled eggs with veggies and a half of avocado...YUM!! Later kids breakfast wasn't so easy. They both asked for cheese and milk, which was hard to tell them no but they understood. Jordan eats her breakfast without hesitation but James finds it fun to say "I don't like eggs" or "I don't want THESE veggies" but he did eventually eat all his breakfast. I thought YAY ok we did it....until dropping my daughter off at school. Complete breakdown for reasons I still do not know! After about 10 minutes of tears she got out of the car and was fine...ugh preteen girls! After that I was like ok now we are in the clear. Hahahaha I could not be more wrong. Mid-morning I get a call from James teacher saying he isn't feeling well and put him on the phone. I asked what was wrong and he said he didn't feel well. I asked if he ate all his snack and he said no, so talked to his teacher and she let him go outside and finish all his snack...wait dare I say it? Ok now morning was done and it was all good! FINALLY!!!

Lunch was delish, as well as dinner. But James still wanted to eat, but not because he was hungry but because he was bored. This habit will be hard to break. Overall day1 could have gone much worse but I can't complain because everyone eat all their food and did not cheat and have sugar. Stay tuned to see how day 2 unravels.

No comments:

Post a Comment